Film

Film

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Ryan's Favorite Things: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Welcome to a new feature on this blog of mine called Ryan's Favorite Things.  IT'S MY FAVORITE THINGS!  YOU GET A THING!  YOU GET A THING!  EVERYBODY GETS A THINGGGGG!

I am so terribly sorry about that.  Basically what Ryan's Favorite Things is going to be is I will give an analysis or review of one of my favorite things, whether that be a favorite movie, album, tv show, comedian, movie/tv show scene, song, book, etc.  And then you will read this review or analysis and either agree with me or disagree and stop being my friend because you take opinions VERY seriously.  Anyway here is my first Ryan's Favorite Thing: My favorite hip-hop album 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' by Kanye West.


(The alternate cover because you never know if there are kids glancing over the shoulders of my 30+ year old demographic readers)

In All Seriousness


My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Track List:

1. Dark Fantasy
2. Gorgeous
3. POWER
4. All of the Lights (Interlude)
5. All of the Lights
6. Monster
7. So Appalled
8. Devil in a New Dress
9. Runaway
10. Hell of a Life
11. Blame Game
12. Lost in a World
13. Who Will Survive in America


"Well gather 'round children. Zip it. Listen."  My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy came out around the time when myself (along with most of the population) were mad at Kanye for jacking Taylor Swift's MTV VMA acceptance speech.  Because of this I was a little slow to giving this album a listen, but I eventually forgave Kanye for being mean and realized that I don't really care what he does in public as long as he keeps making music that I like.  

The album stars off with Dark Fantasy, which after the first few listens of MBDTF was my favorite song off the album.  After Nicki Minaj's little monologue at the beginning of the song, the chorus states "Can we get much higher?"  This states the goal of the album in a way.  Kanye has already reached critical and commercial success with his previous albums, could he get even higher than the very top is what he's asking himself.  I think he tops himself with MBDTF, his most consistently good album.

The production value is rivaled by very few albums in rap history in my opinion, and is easily the best in his discography.  The hook and beat on each one of his songs is catchy and original.  The chanting in  the background of POWER gives me chills every time I hear it.  The instrumentals behind All of the Lights, and backing vocals of the thousand (exaggeration) people that Kanye got for this song create one of the most interesting songs he has ever made.  Runaway's production is a musical masterpiece that makes a 9 minute song a joy to listen to every time.

I wouldn't say Kanye is really known for being an amazing lyricist.  That being said, some of his most clever, well-written lyrics are found on this album.  "Too many Urkels on your team, that's why your wins low." from Dark Fantasy, "I just needed time alone, with my own thoughts. I got treasures in my mind, but couldn't open up my own vault." from POWER, and "I'm living in the future so the presence is my past, my presence is a present, kiss my a**." from Monster are a few of my favorite lyrics (well the cleaner ones, my mom reads this) from the album.  And additionally I have to give praise to some of the supporting verses, such as Nicki Minaj's verse in Monster, which is probably the best part of the song, and the best work she's ever done in her career.  A lot of the verses in So Appalled are really cool.  And while it's not a verse, the ending of Blame Game in which Chris Rock talks for 3 minutes is one of my favorite things in the world, and I am too proud to say that I can recite the whole thing.

4 years after My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy came out, and it's my most listened to hip-hop album, if not my most most listened to album in any genre of all-time.  With each listening of the album I get something new out of it, and for this reason I haven't gotten sick of these songs.  I can listen to it at the gym, laying in bed, driving in my car, it's good in any environment.  MBDTF, is my go-to album when I'm trying to listen to a perfect album, and I'd be surprised if any rap album tops it any time soon.

The next Ryan's Favorite Thing: My favorite movie, Boogie Nights.

~Ryan Moncrief

No comments:

Post a Comment