Film

Film

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Top 25 Films of the Decade So Far

As a currently jobless college student on winter break, I have basically no real responsibilities at the moment other than the usual shower daily, make sure the dogs don't pee in the house, and don't starve.  And even those responsibilities I put off every now and again.  My point is, I currently have the time to do silly things like list and write about my 25 favorite films of the decade we're in so far.  So if you happen to be reading this, I appreciate the time you are taking away from actual responsibilities like school, work, a social life, to read the things I have to say about movies.  But if you don't feel like reading I made a video montage listing the movies below.  The video has music and a lot fewer words.  Either way I hope you enjoy.





In All Seriousness:


25. 127 Hours (2010)
Director: Danny Boyle













It's tough to make a film that for the most part takes place in one area, but Danny Boyle really makes it work.  He uses great editing, along with flashbacks, dream sequences, and interesting cinematography to keep the story gripping.  James Franco gives the best performance of his career (at least so far), and he along with Danny Boyle make this film that can be funny, sad, and hard to watch all at the same time, what it is.

24. Moneyball (2011)
Director: Bennett Miller












Aaron Sorkin (the screenwriter) has a writing style that I think viewers will either love or hate.  His heavy dialogue, and sarcastic, witty characters is something that just really works for me.  The writing is what I really appreciate about the film, but I'm also a fan of Bennett Miller's ability to direct the film in a way that baseball fans AND non-baseball fans can enjoy the film.  It's not as much about baseball as it is about one guy trying to prove wrong everyone who is against him.  Also Jonah Hill gives his first proof of some dramatic chops.

23. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
Director: Wes Anderson














You can now see my thoughts on this film in my review for the film, my top 20 films of 2014 post, and now here.  There isn't much more I can say about it the film.  But I will point out that this movie could move forwards or backwards on this list after a re-watch, because the film isn't as fresh in my mind since seeing it in early 2014.  This movie's ensemble is also the sole reason why I decided not to list actors for each film on this list.  There are so many damn people in this movie, but all of them are cast well and nice to see in a Wes Anderson film.

22. Frances Ha (2013)
Director: Noah Baumbach














A screenwriting professor I had last year described this film as, "About nothing, but also about so much."  And that description really stuck with me because it's true.  Frances Ha is about a girl living in New York, and there isn't much to the story other than look at this quirky girl who is hanging out with her best friend, trying to follow her dreams, and living in New York City.  But that's all it really has to be for me, because the realism in Greta Gerwig's portrayal of this type of character is what made me really enjoy this film as much as I did.  I also really love the script that Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig co-wrote together, and the beautiful black and white cinematography.

21. Gone Girl (2014)
Director: David Fincher











I could slip in Gone Girl as sort of a third part to a trilogy of modern mystery films from David Fincher (along with Zodiac and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).  All 3 are similar, but not identical in style and the way they unfold the main mystery in their stories.  Gone Girl does a great job of carefully revealing each twist, and Rosamund Pike gives a career-making performance as Amy.

20. Short Term 12 (2013)
Director: Destin Daniel Cretton












Short Term 12 hits you on an emotional level without the conventions of a Hollywood drama or romance.  This is thanks to Cretton's subtle directing, and his ability to make you feel something with an act as simple as having a character tell a story.  But even more so thanks to the wonderful lead performances from Brie Larson and John Gallagher Jr.  Their dynamic as a couple working at a foster home as well as dealing with their own problems are beautifully shown here.


19. Boyhood (2014)
Director: Richard Linklater











It's really good.  Read any of the other countless reviews praising this film.

18. 12 Years a Slave (2013)
Director: Steve McQueen












Last year's Oscar awards was the first year in a little while where I wasn't mad about the Best Picture winner.  Steve McQueen is a filmmaker I really admire.  I've enjoyed all 3 films he has made so far, and 12 Years a Slave is probably his best.  He pulls off long takes like a master, and allows his actors to give excellent performances.  This movie had one of my favorite shots of 2013, but I won't describe it as to not give away spoilers.  All I'll say is it lingers on for a long time, even longer than you'd expect or even be comfortable with, but it works perfectly.

17. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2012)
Director: Banksy












Banksy makes a one-of-a-kind documentary, which is at first about graffiti art, but then becomes something completely different later on.  It's interesting, it's intense (specifically the part at Disneyland), and it's an extremely creative way to make a film.  As of now this film is my favorite documentary.

16. Holy Motors (2012)
Director: Leos Carax












I don't even know how to describe this film.  I guess my best attempt would be to say that it's about the day in a life of many characters, but also only one character at the same time.  Holy Motors can be challenging, many will call it weird.  But this film is like nothing I've ever seen before.  It's a film watching experience that true fans of film should at the very least give a shot.  It's on Netflix.

15.  A Separation (2011)
Director: Asghar Farhadi













In 2011, this is one of the films that I really meant to see before making my annual best films of the year list, but somehow I didn't manage to see it until about a month ago.  This Iranian drama is tense from the very first second, and doesn't let you feel safe for a second until the film ends.  I'm not going to get into the ending, but I really loved the way they did it.

14. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
Director: Martin Scorsese













Wild, fun, excessive.  Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street is his closest film in terms of style to his 1990 film Goodfellas, which is my favorite of his.  If anyone can have us rooting for a unbelievably awful person like Jordan Belfort for or a gangster like Henry Hill, it's Scorsese.  3 hours long, but it feels like 2.  It never gets boring, and makes me excited that Marty is still pumping out good films this late into his career.

13. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
Director: Wes Anderson












Wes Anderson is one of the directors for me who has yet to do me wrong.  Of the films of his I've seen, there hasn't been one that I didn't at least like.  And to say I love Moonrise Kingdom, yet it's only my third favorite of his says a lot.  I think Moonrise is his best example of the classic Wes Anderson trait of the kids in the film being adult-like, and the adults in the film acting childish.  Also the back and forth letter writing scene between the boy and girl in this film is one of my favorite Wes Anderson film scenes ever.

12. Blue is the Warmest Color (2013)
Director: Abdellatif Kechiche










Despite the controversy surrounding the film regarding the explicit sex scenes and the supposedly exhausting working environment for the actresses, Kechiche and these actresses made a masterpiece.  This is a film I've been wanting to revisit since I saw it, the 3 hour running time has me delaying that, but the first time I saw it, it was a 3 hours well spent.  Adele Exarchopolous is amazing as this young woman discovering her sexuality, and Lea Seydoux is just as great as her love interest.  Expect to see these two a lost more in the future.

11. Drive (2011)
Director: Nicolas Winding Refn












Drive is a movie I am really happy wasn't like the trailer.  The trailer made it seem like it would be a mindless action film.  What it turned out to be was a visually pleasing thriller with great action and great acting from it's cast.  Albert Brooks, who gave my favorite performance of 2011, is particularly good as the main antagonist of the film.

10. Whiplash (2014)
Director: Damien Chazelle










My 2nd favorite film of this past film.  These kind of musician trying to make it big can fall into so many cliches and stereotypes that Whiplash never falls into.  Miles Teller brings a drive to the character of Andrew and J.K. Simmons gives an intensity to the character of Mr. Fletcher, and together they make magic.  Between this chemistry, and the editing, and the finale, this film is something really special.

9. Django Unchained (2012)
Director: Quentin Tarantino










I might not always be a fan of Tarantino's personality, but his films are right up my alley.  Django is towards the top of his filmography for me.  His writing here is great as always, and he creates some of his most memorable characters here.  Everyone plays their part perfectly, and does a great job of getting through Tarantino's paragraphs of dialogue.  It's probably partly my love for Westerns that makes me appreciate this film so much, but I just love it.

8. Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)
Director: Benh Zeitlin












A brilliant debut film from Benh Zeitlin who also wrote and scored the film in addition to directing.  The score is something that really makes the emotions hit harder than they would without it. Quvenzhane Wallis as this 6-year old girl in the south before, during, and after a Katrina-like storm, is great.  And hopefully she remains successful despite how that new Annie movie looks.

7. Inherent Vice (2014)
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson












Taking huge inspiration from film noir, the 70's, and it's source material's author Thomas Pynchon's style, PTA hits another home run with this hilarious noir-esque film.  Joaquin Phoenix leads an ensemble cast that all are perfect for the roles they were cast in.  This is the perfect kind of movie for my taste, and I can only see this movie getting better with more views.

6. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
Director: Joel and Ethan Coen












The Coen Brothers do it again with a wonderful film about a folk musician trying to find success.  It would make a good companion piece to Whiplash, although this one is a little more depressing with it's muted color cinematography and storyline.  And really just the general sadness in folk music rather than jazz.  Oscar Isaac is heartbreakingly good, and surely deserved a his first name nomination last year.

5. Black Swan (2010)
Director: Darren Aronofsky












Natalie Portman's Nina Sayers is one of the best performances of the decade so far.  Her dedication to the performance is evident in the dance sequences.  You'd suspect that she's been training for years, when in fact it was only months.  Darren Aronofsky's cerebral drama Black Swan can be horrifying and beautiful at the same time.  It was my second favorite film of a very strong year in film.

4. The Master (2012)
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson











Paul Thomas Anderson's first film since 2007's There Will Be Blood is the nearly as well-crafted The Master.  Paul Thomas directs his three main actors to Oscar nominated performances.  His cinematographer shoots beautiful images, and the score from Radiohead guitarist Johnny Greenwood is engaging just as it was in There Will Be Blood.  The Master says a lot about faith and obedience, and allows for different things to be seen upon each viewing.

3. The Tree of Life (2011)
Director: Terrence Malick












Speaking of needing multiples viewings, Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life.  One of the most beautiful films I've ever seen, as is probably evident from the screenshot I chose above.  I still haven't fully grasped everything the film is trying to say, but that's why I love it so much.  It's never the same experience watching this film again and again, which makes this film something that will hold up for a long time.

2. Her (2013)
Director: Spike Jonze













Her is a one-of-a-kind, film about love.  It's odd, I know people who were weirded out by it.  But I think this portrayal of someone feeling love is as real as any other film I've seen.  It can be funny, sweet, and then really punch you right in the heard with spiked brass knuckles.  I think this film is incredible, it made me feel things that not many other films have before.

1. The Social Network (2010)
Director: David Fincher










I might be in the minority, but I truly believe that this film is the masterpiece of the 21st century.  Every aspect of filmmaking is in prime form here, from Fincher's directing, to Aaron Sorkin's excellent screenplay, to the acting, to the perfect score from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, and the great cinematography from Fincher's go-to guy Jeff Cronenweth.  It's a film that deals with a problem and an event that has a lot to do with our lives in this decade.  With the film industry constantly going deep into history with their films, even though it's nice to see those events in film, it was refreshing to see a newer event in history captured so well.

-Ryan Moncrief

No comments:

Post a Comment