Film

Film

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Netflix Pick of the Week #2: Requiem for a Dream



I've been busy so I missed out on doing this the past two days.  But here it is now.  Also expect a 12 Years a Slave review up sometime soon.

Requiem for a Dream (2000)





Starring: The guy from 30 Seconds to Mars, one of the Wayans Brothers, Jennifer Connelly, some old lady
Premise: Imagine an episode of Breaking Bad, but it's longer and will ruin your entire day.
Quote: "Mmm mmm mmm, this heroin sure is delicious." - Harry Goldfarb (Jared Leto)
One Sentence Review: Actually doing heroin is healthier for you than the depression that will come from watching this film.

In All Seriousness:


This film is one of my favorites.  Every time I talk about it with someone I talk about how effective it is at making the audience feel different emotions.  I've witnessed 3 people break down and cry during this film.  I've witnessed people turn their heads and close their eyes during scenes.  It's absolutely not an easy film to watch, but that's one reason why I love it so much.  It's like a long car crash that you want to stop watching, but you can't allow yourself to do it.  Every performance, especially Ellen Burstyn's, are incredible.  The editing and cinematography styles are extremely cool, and very identifiable with the genius director Darren Aronofsky.  If you think you can handle Requiem I HIGHLY recommend it, but every time I suggest this film it comes with a warning.  Because it will definitely have an effect on you, no matter how emotionally in tact you think you are.

~Ryan Moncrief

No comments:

Post a Comment