Film

Film

Saturday, November 16, 2013

My Thoughts on CBS Ordering a Pilot for "How I Met Your Dad"

I could not be more happy about this news.  It's How I Met Your Mother from the woman's point of view!  I really hope this starts a trend of making spinoff shows that switch genders from the original show.  Two and a Half Women!  Mad Women!  The Real Stay-at-home Dads of Orange County!

The new Fox show Dads could be reversed, how funny would it be if they made it from the female perspective!?













They could change it to something like...oh wait.













Well anyway, I'm excited for the wave of completely original shows that is sure to come from this.

In All Seriousness:

False.

CBS ordering a pilot for a HIMYM spinoff series called "How I Met Your Dad" is a bad, bad thing.  How I Met Your Mother is one of my Top 5 favorite TV shows of all-time.  ALL-TIME.  I've watched more HIMYM than most people have watched TV in general.  I could write a 50 page analysis paper on Season 1 alone, but I think a spinoff series is an awful idea on both CBS and the showrunners' parts.

HIMYM, when it first came out was completely original, and it had a premise that kept the audiences excited to see this thing through to the end.  The writers have used so many interesting and creative ways of telling this kind of story, but what's left?  How are they going to get a lengthy series out of the exact same concept without being bland or using old ideas?  How are they going to come up with something that could top or even contend with some of the elements that make HIMYM so enjoyable to me (such as the numerous catchphrases, and on-going gags that remain entertaining throughout the seasons)?  What cast of actors could they possibly find that will have better chemistry than the group that spent so much time together on HIMYM, and will the show even last long enough for the actors to achieve a comfort between them?

I will forever love Carter Bays and Craig Thomas for creating How I Met Your Mother, but I really wish they would have gone with a new original series rather than spinning off their biggest success.  I'm not saying I'm going to boycott watching this show, I am interested to see if they can make it work. But having to live up to the extremely successful How I Met Your Mother is already putting HIMYD in the negative, and I honestly don't see it lasting very long if it does manage to get picked up for a season.

Not Legen-wait-for-it-Dary.

~Ryan Moncrief

No comments:

Post a Comment