Film

Film

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Playlist of the Week #2: Finals Week Edition


I think I forgot to do this last week because I was swamped with work since the end of the semester is here.  And now that it's Finals week, I figured I'd distract myself by writing a blog post, which in turn will cause all of my friends to become distracted from their finals because they all read my blog posts.  Right?  RIGHT!?

1. 'Simple Song' by The Shins

You should listen to it if: You just need something simple to listen to while you're trying to bang out a 10-page paper on the anatomy of bearded pigs.

2. 'Temple' by Kings of Leon

You should listen to it if: Finals are making you want to shoot yourself in the temple.

3. 'Over Seasons' by Authority Zero

You should listen to it if: You want to learn how to sing as fast as this song instead of researching Hamlet for your Play Analysis Final.

4. 'R.I.P.' by Childish Gambino

You should listen to it if: You're considering death as an option rather than reading all of Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man in one night because you decided not to flip past the first page all semester.

5. 'Foreplay/Long Time' by Boston

You should listen to it if: You're one of those kids who doesn't have any finals and you have time to listen to an 8 minute song.

6. 'I'm In It' by Kanye West

You should listen to it if: You're in it.  And by it I mean in a state of panic and depression due to finals that only binge eating spoonfuls of Nutella can cure.

7. 'The Scientist' by Coldplay

You should listen to it if: You think you're gonna ace your Chemistry final tomorrow.  Hey guess what?  You're not.

8. 'Levon' by Elton John

You should listen to it if: You need a song to fall asleep to as you lay on top of your peppermint hot chocolate soaked Anthropology notes.

In All Seriousness:


1. 'Simple Song'

I fell in love with this song when the creators of How I Met Your Mother geniusly used it in the finale of last season.  This song gets intense and gives you chills when his voice gets really high.


2. 'Temple'

Kings of Leon played this song on SNL this past weekend, and it's an awesome song.  Kings of Leon changes their sound a little bit with each album, and I like it.


3. 'Over Seasons'

My roommate Frank got me into this song.  It's just really fun and impossible not to bop your head to.


4. 'R.I.P.'

This is potentially my favorite Childish Gambino song.  Those who know me well will know that Childish Gambino is my favorite rapper, so needless to say this song gets high praise from me.  Also I love the use of Kavinsky's Nightcall as the hook.


5. 'Foreplay/Long Time'

This song is relatively long, but flies by every time I listen to it.  The guitar solo of Foreplay and then the smooth falsetto of Long Time just really does it for me.  Gotta have that falsetto baby.



6. 'I'm In It'

I didn't like Yeezus very much at first, but after additional listens it grew on me.  This is one of my favorite songs on the album, also any song with Bon Iver's Justin Vernon is something I can get down with.  My friend and one of my roommates here at Hofstra University, Reed, wrote a good blog post about his experience front row at a recent Kanye concert on his blog here.


7. 'The Scientist'

I love Coldplay and this is my favorite song by them.  Lyrically and musically just a really great song.


8. 'Levon'

Elton John will always be a favorite of mine.  This song I feel like is not one of his most known songs, but it should be.


~Ryan Moncrief

No comments:

Post a Comment